Sunday, January 10, 2016

Packing for Motorcycle Travel


You know the fun of a motorcycle ride. Even better is a multi-day or longer ride. Some of you moto veterans have already done this. A question that often comes up from riders is “what do I bring and how do I pack it on my motorcycle”? In my years of experience I would like to offer my insight as someone whom has packed my motorcycle for a lengthy journey.
One way to start this process (as it will be a “process of elimination” in the end) is to lay out everything you would like to have on this trip. Lay out a bedsheet on the floor and place the items you wish to take on the sheet. If you absolutely need a blow dryer for your hair every day, than lay it out. I have traveled with a guy that this is a must as not every motel or hotel has one. Consider buying a travel one as it is half the size.

Making a check list is a good idea but I would start with writing out all your “ must haves” on paper first. Suggestions of must haves include:

*medications* clothing*toiletries*documents*finances/cash *repair/tools *first aid*navigation/maps*camping/cooking

*water/snacks* sunglasses*cleaners* ball cap and all of the little things or niceties that you need or want to accompany you for a more enjoyable trip.

Once you have your wish list on paper and you have everything spread out, it’s time for an honest assessment.



1.      Do I need everything in my pile?
2.      Can I pack it all on my motorcycle?

A rule of thumb is whatever you have laid out, cut it in half and work from there. You want to be thinking like a backpacker, if you could carry all your stuff on your back in a pack, you can get it on a motorcycle.

Some Suggestions include:

1.      Choose clothing that is synthetic or dry wicking. Under garments made of this material are key here for riding in comfort all day.  A wash in the sink or stream at the end of the day and they are dry by morning. Yes, you can ride on a week-long trip with 2 pairs of underwear. Look to active outdoor clothing for wear off the bike.  This type of clothing does not retain malodorous smells and can also be washed in the evening and ready for the next day of travel. (it would not be uncommon to see a piece of clothing drying on my bike as I drove down the road)

2.      If you are like me, you never miss an opportunity to take the shampoo and soap when you stay in a hotel. Motorcycle travel is a great place to utilize these small size toiletries; small is good or purchase travel size while you are shopping.  A travel size toothpaste will last all week.  

3.      Roll all of your clothing. You can fit more in your side cases when they are rolled. I take my socks rolled up and stuff them in my footwear that I will be wearing off the bike. Any space that can be used is filled.

This all takes practice and my first attempts were shall we say “ugly” as I looked like someone fleeing their homeland. You learn by doing and over time you will find the right combination. Once you have a final list it is time for a dry test. Take time to thoughtfully pack everything up. Anything related to moto repair, rain gear, extra gloves and the like goes in one area. All items that will come with me at the end of the day to my motel or tent are in one bag/case. This saves me from sorting every day and lugging more than I need to. Once everything is secured on the motorcycle, I go for a ride, stop for fuel and practice getting on and off the motorcycle several times. I am checking for balance and ensuring that all cargo is secure. This dry run is important as any adjustments are easier now than 10 miles down the road with a schedule to keep. You will be amazed with just how little you need to bring on a motorcycle trip and how and good it feels to not over pack. I have just lightly touched on this subject there are pages and pages to share however; my message is get out there and try it. Travel by motorcycle is one of the most stimulating, fun things you can do. Going for days or weeks is even better!


When you get home from your adventure, make a list of the things you wished you had and a list of what you didn’t use. Add or subtract them from your checklist.

No comments:

Post a Comment